Thursday 29 July 2010

Soho, Westminster, and Belgravia

Wednesday I only worked a half day in the morning, and then I had a walking tour of Soho and the north West End for my British Pop Culture class. My teacher showed us some nice music clubs in the area, and took us to Denmark Street where the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Elton John recorded. Then, my teacher took us near Carnaby Street (where the Swinging Sixties started) and then to the Hare Krishna temple.

Yesterday was my day off, and I got up early to start walking around. I headed over to Baker Street and found the location of the Beatles' Apple Studios, which was unfortunately under scaffolding. Then I went over to the Beatles store to look at some memorabilia. After a while, I had to head over to Trafalgar Square to meet up with my Pop Culture class. We went in the National Gallery and saw some Van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, and Seurat, among other artists.

After the class, I walked down Whitehall Road, where I ran into Scotland Yard, the museum of the guard horses, 10 Downing Street, and a bunch of WWII memorials. When I got to Westminster, I took the tube into central London, where I visited the Temple Church again but just missed the last entry. Then, I walked St. Paul's to the Millennium Bridge and the Old Bailey.

Today, I went to Soho again for breakfast at a French bakery, Maison Bertaux, for a croissant and coffee. Delicious. Then, I headed back to Chelsea for a walking tour of Sloane Square and the Chelsea hospital, which is a retirement village for widowed veterans. Afterwards, we got some gellato from a little stand.

Tonight I'm going on the Jack the Ripper walking tour with a few friends. Should see some spooky stuff!

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment